Immigration Legal Services Tailored To Your Needs

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Immigration Services
  4.  – Fiance(e) and Marriage Visas

Helping You Start Your Lives Together In The United States

If you are a citizen of the United States engaged or married to a noncitizen, you have options to bring your partner over to the U.S. Through a K-1 fiancé visa or a K-3 spousal visa, they can legally reside with you in the United States until they can apply to adjust their status and become a lawful permanent resident.

The process for obtaining a K-1 or K-3 visa can be complex and overwhelming. In order to ensure a smooth immigration process and protect your partner’s rights, it is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney. At The Law Office of Anne Z. Sedki, LLC, our immigration lawyers have years of experience helping couples start their lives in the United States. Based in New York and New Jersey, we can help you start your new chapter.

K-1 And K-3 Visas – What Is The Difference?

A K-1 visa is issued to the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the United States. A K-1 visa requires a foreigner to marry their U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry. Once the couple marries, the foreign citizen can adjust their status to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States (Green Card holder). Although a K-1 visa is legally classified as a nonimmigrant visa, it usually leads to significant immigration benefits. The Immigrant Visa section of United States embassies and consulates worldwide often processes the visa. If a K-1 visa holder does not marry their U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry, they must depart the United States within 30 days.

A K-3 visa is for the foreign-citizen spouse of a United States (U.S.) citizen. The U.S. citizen spouse applies for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa overseas, in the country where the marriage took place, on behalf of the foreign-citizen spouse, who enters the United States to await approval of the immigrant visa petition. K-3 visa recipients subsequently apply to adjust their status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) upon approval of the petition. Eligible children of K-3 visa applicants receive K-4 visas. Both K-3 and the K-4 visas allow their recipients to stay in the United States, while immigrant visa petitions are pending approval by USCIS.

Let Us Help You Through The Visa Process

Every immigration case is unique and presents its challenges. When your life with your fiancé or spouse is on the line, we understand how stressful the fiancé or spousal visa process can be. We are here to help you through the process so you can focus on starting your life. Contact us today at 516-540-7948 or complete an online contact form to schedule your consultation.